At Parklands, we provide a varied and enjoyable Geography Curriculum which is high quality and inclusive in its nature. Staff have high expectations of all children and challenge them to progress through the curriculum and to achieve high standards in Geography.
Our subject based approach, in line with the National Curriculum, forms the basis of our Geography teaching and allows all children to develop a range of skills, including:
- Analysis of data,
- Research methods,
- Map skills.
Alongside these skills, children also develop an understanding of the wider world with topics focusing on different countries and continents which are compared with our own. Children also get to investigate their local area and develop an understanding of the country they live in.
Children will learn:
- How they are ‘Geographers’ and can make a difference to the world around them.
- To enjoy the subject, appreciate the world around them and understand how and why Geography is important.
- To value the importance and relevance of Geography in our everyday lives.
- To understand the skills of being a Geographer and be able to apply them to different situations.
- To be able to use their own opinion and ideas when investigating topics and understand how they can make a difference.
Alongside this, we will develop the children’s learning through practical investigation and exploration wherever possible, using our local environment and wider sources of information.